The Federation of Post-Secondary Educators of BC (FPSE) is seeking an experienced and dynamic Executive Director with excellent strategic leadership, communication, and stakeholder relation skills. The FPSE, located in Vancouver, BC, is the provincial voice for faculty and staff in BC universities, colleges and institutes, and in private sector institutions, representing over 10,000 members.
The Executive Director (ED) champions the Federation’s mission to support local associations in their work. They do so by managing the day-to-day operations of the Federation’s staff and office, ensuring that services are delivered efficiently and effectively. The ED works closely with an Executive but is ultimately responsible to the Federation’s governing body.
Working with its CUPE-affiliated staff and through its collective agreement, the Executive Director will strengthen and build the workplace culture to ensure FPSE provides excellent service to its member organizations. This is a key role for the business of the organization and involves planning, organizing, directing, controlling, and administering FPSE operations.
This high-profile position requires a dynamic, adaptive, and resourceful leader who, amidst an ever-changing environment, inspires committed engagement in the FPSE staff team as well as with member organizations, the Executive Committee, and the Presidents’ Council. The Executive Director must be dedicated to the labour movement and its principles. This role is best suited for a strong relational leader who can foster a safe and supportive environment for staff through thoughtful and clear management practices. The ED will guide and lead FPSE through new opportunities as well as fulfil the organization’s strategic plan in consistence with operational and governance policies. The ED’s leadership will also embrace and reflect the FPSE’s vision, mission, guiding principles, and values.
The Executive Director reports to the President of the FPSE and Presidents’ Council and, at times, to the Secretary-Treasurer to ensure that duties and responsibilities are carried out. The role’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Strategic Leadership
· Leadership of Quality Service Delivery
· Operational Leadership and Workplace Culture
· Financial Integrity and Risk Mitigation
Please review the Job Description on our website (https://realizestrategies.ca/opportunities/fpse-executive-director/) for the full list of duties and responsibilities.
Education, Knowledge, and Experience
- Combination of Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree (e.g., MBA, MA in Leadership, etc.) plus 5 years of management experience.
- Experience managing unionized staff and leading in a unionized environment.
- Experience working with an Executive Committee, Council, Board of Directors or similar.
- Strong HR and managerial skills.
- Knowledge and experience leading in a unionized environment.
- Experience implementing strategic initiatives with clear outcomes.
- Experience overseeing financial and risk management.
- Experience improving and striving for excellence in quality service outcomes.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong people management skills and experience with all aspects of human resource management and labour relations.
- Strong change management skills and ability to help grow an organization.
- Strong relationship-building skills and experience working collaboratively and effectively with various external stakeholders.
- Strong financial and risk management skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with an Executive
- Committee and Presidents’ Council.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient with standard office software and technology.
- Must consent to a Criminal Record Check as required.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
This position works in a unionized office environment.
This is a full-time, salaried position. As such, occasional early, evening, and weekend hours are required to accommodate the position’s governance, political, and operational requirements.
The ED will be primarily working in-person out of FPSE’s main office in Vancouver, BC. However, there are expectations that the successful candidate is also able to travel domestically and be away from home, for up to a week, for their work.
The Executive Director position receives a comprehensive compensation package which includes a salary range of $135,000 to $150,000, extended health benefits, and MPP.
HOW TO APPLY
This search is conducted by Realize Strategies. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume in one PDF document by visiting the Realize Strategies Opportunities page: https://realizestrategies.ca/opportunities/fpse-executive-director/
For more information about this position, including a full role description, please visit (https://realizestrategies.ca/opportunities/fpse-executive-director/ ) or contact Makeda Henry or Alison Marshall at 604.718.8292.
Applications should be submitted by September 30, 2022; however, early applications are recommended. All applications will be kept in strict confidence.
The Federation for Post-Secondary Educators of BC strives for meaningful employment from all communities and for its team to reflect the diversity of the communities it serves. First Nations, people of colour, and people across spectrums of gender, sexuality, age, and abilities are encouraged to apply.
The Federation of Post-Secondary Educators of BC thanks all applicants for their interest in this position.